The snow emergency for Athens County has been canceled. Please drive carefully some hazardous road conditions may still exist in remote areas of the county.
Athens County is under a LEVEL 1 SNOW EMERGENCY, roadways are hazardous and may be icy. Motorists are urged to drive very cautiously.
The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory for Athens County in effect from 9AM Saturday, 1/11/20 until 5AM Sunday, 1/12/20
- WHAT, South winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts of 35 to 45 mph expected.
- WHERE, Portions of southeast Ohio, southwest Virginia, northeast Kentucky and central, northeast, northern, southeast, southern and western West Virginia.
- WHEN, From 9 AM Saturday to 5 AM Sunday.
- IMPACTS, Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result.
Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.
The City of Nelsonville Water Department has issued a boil advisory for Starr Drive, Hillside Drive and Crihfield Drive. The boil advisory is being issued due to a pump repair. The boil advisory will be in effect until Friday, January 3, 2020 at 3:00PM, unless notified otherwise.
When a boil advisory is in effect, we ask all who are affected to boil their cooking and drinking water for three minutes before being consumed.
There will be a Neighborhood Watch meeting on Wednesday, January 8, 2020, at 6:00pm at Nelsonville City Hall, 211 Lake Hope Drive, Nelsonville to discuss crime prevention in the City.
The public is invited to attend.
The National Weather Service has issued a Flood Watch for Athens County from noon Sunday, 12/29/19 until Monday, 12/30/19.
Rain will become more widespread this afternoon and continue through the evening. The rain will be moderate to heavy at times late this afternoon and early evening. Total rainfall amounts of 1.5 to 2.0 inches will be possible through tonight.
Flooding of low-lying areas will be possible. In addition, some creeks may exceed their banks resulting in potential road closures, especially in southeast Ohio.
A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on current forecasts.
You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible Flood Warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action should flooding develop.
The following incidents has been listed by Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous as the January 2020 Crimes of the Month.
The Athens Police Department is requesting your information pertaining to a series of crimes which occurred in the City.
1. On November 19, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at the Sol Restaurant and Bar which is located at 700 E. State St. It was determined that at approximately 5:00 AM on this date a male subject forcibly entered the business and stole several alcoholic beverages. The suspect was wearing dark colored jogging style pants and a hooded sweatshirt.
On November 24, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a second complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at the Sol Restaurant and Bar. It was determined a white male forcibly entered the business at approximately 6:20 AM and he was wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt.
2. On November 24, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at O’Betty’s Red Hot restaurant which is located at 15 W. State St. Between 3:00 AM and 6:30 AM on November 24, individual(s) forcibly entered the business and took an undisclosed amount of money.
3. On November 29, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at Brenen’s Coffee Café which is located at 38 S. Court St. The business had been forcibly entered by a white male on November 28, 2019 at approximately 8:30 PM and he stole items.
4. On December 8, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at Fish N Stuff which is located at 4 Station St. The business had been forcibly entered between 8:30 PM on December 7 and 11:30 AM on December 8. The individual(s) stole an undisclosed amount of money.
5. On December 15, 2019 at 5:20 AM, the Athens Police Department responded to an activated burglary alarm at the Smoke Zone Smoke Shop which is located at 80 N. Court St. Officers discovered signs an individual(s) was attempting to forcibly enter the business but was not successful.
6. On December 15, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at the Silver Serpent which is located at 728 E. State St. The business had been forcibly entered between 10 :00 PM on December 14 and 8:00 AM on December 15 and an undisclosed amount of money was stolen.
7. On December 15, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at the Hilltop Quick Change which is located at 161 N. Lancaster St. The incident occurred between 3:00 PM on December 14 and noon on December 15.
8. On December 16, 2019, the Athens Police Department received a complaint of a breaking and entering that occurred at OMG! Rotisserie which is located at 139 Columbus Rd. It appears the business was illegally entered, and items stolen between December 14 and December 16.
The board has approved up to a $2000 reward for information related to this series of incidents.
The Nelsonville Police Department is requesting your information pertaining to crimes which occurred in the City.
1. The Nelsonville Police Department is investigating a series of burglaries that have occurred in the Campbell St area. One residence, 38 Campbell St., has been burglarized on three separate occasions. The incidents occurred on October 17, November 2, and November 17, 2019. The board has approved up to a $2000 reward for information related to this series of incidents.
Athens County Crime Solvers Anonymous is offering a cash reward for information on the above crime if that information leads to the arrest and indictment of the person or persons responsible. *Information on serious misdemeanors will be limited up to a $1000.00 cash reward. **Any information that leads to the arrest of an individual responsible for graffiti, the board can authorize up to a $500.00 cash reward. If you have information on these crimes, please call (740) 594 – 3331. You may also visit our website at http://www.crimesolversofathens.org or like us on Facebook. Remember! Crime Solvers Anonymous needs your information and not your name so that your information can be passed onto the proper authorities. Help us to help Athens County become a safer place.
The City of Nelsonville Government Offices will be closed Wednesday, January 1, 2020 for New Year’s Day. The City Offices will re-open on Thursday, January 2, 2020.
The City of Nelsonville Government Offices will be closed Tuesday, December 24, 2019, at Noon, Wednesday, December 25, 2019, and Thursday, December 26, 2019, for Christmas. The City Offices will re-open on Friday, December 27, 2019.
Rumpke will start Nelsonville trash pickup 2 hours earlier on Tuesday, December 24, 2019, and Thursday, December 26, 2019, due to Christmas. This means Commercial pickup will start at 2:00am and Residential will start at 4:00am.