The City of Nelsonville announces that the fall leaf pick up has been extended through Monday, December 7, 2016. If you have leaves that need picked up after December 7, 2016 they must be bagged in order to be picked up. Call City Hall at 740-753-1314, Monday – Friday, 8AM – 5PM to schedule a pick up.
The Buchtel Water and Sewer Department has canceled the boil order for customers on Marietta Avenue, North Akron Avenue, Euclid Avenue, Water Street, Franklin Street, North and South Oakley, Duncan and State Route 78 from Marietta Avenue to the County line. The Buchtel Water and Sewer Department would like to thank Buchtel residents for their time and patience during this incident.
The Buchtel Water and Sewer Department announces that crews are making repairs to a major water line break. Buchtel customers will experience a water outage until the line is repaired On Marietta Avenue, North Akron Avenue, Euclid Avenue, Water Street, Franklin Street, North and South Oakley, Duncan and State Route 78 from Marietta Avenue to the County line. A boil order will be in effect until further notice for these areas.
Boil orders are put into place as a result of broken water lines or local flooding. When this happens, the drinking water may have been contaminated which can cause many illnesses.
Here are some tips to keep in mind, should you find yourself in this situation:
- Bring water to a full boil, and boil for three minutes prior to use.
- Use only boiled water for drinking, preparing food or baby formula.
- To improve the flat taste of boiled water, keep cold in refrigerator.
- Put a cup over your faucets as a reminder to not use tap water – not even to brush your teeth!
- Instead of boiling water, you can disinfect water by adding one teaspoon unscented chlorine laundry bleach for every five gallons of water. Let stand 30 minutes before using.
- Be sure to use sanitized food grade containers for storing water.
- To disinfect water storage containers, pour a solution of one tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach to a gallon of water into a container. Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out the solution. Rinse with purified water.
- Boiled or disinfected water can be stored for six months.
- Dispose of ice cubes.
- When washing dishes, make sure to sterilize dishes with a final dip in water that has one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Disposable tableware is an option during a boil order.
- It is also recommended you sanitize hands when washing. Again, use one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water and rinse hand frequently by pouring rinse over the hands. Use paper towels to dry.
- Water for bathing doesn’t need to be boiled. Supervise children to avoid water being ingested.
The Nelsonville City Council will hold a regular Council meeting on Monday, November 28, 2016 at 7:00 pm in Council Chambers at City Hall. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
The Nelsonville Volunteer Fire Department in cooperation with the York Township Volunteer Fire Department will be holding their 68th annual Christmas food basket program. The program started in 1948 when firefighters distributed 14 food baskets. For this 68th year firefighters expect to distribute over 170 food baskets at a cost of more than $5,000. The Parade of The Hills Festival held annually in Nelsonville in late August was established to assist in raising funds for the program. Funds are still raised by the festival and by soliciting local businesses and groups for their support of the program.
Applications for Christmas food baskets will be available on Friday, November 25th, and must be returned by Saturday, December 3rd. Applications will be available at the Nelsonville water office and the Nelsonville Fire Department. Approved Baskets will be delivered on Saturday, December 17th. Only residents of Nelsonville and York Township are eligible to apply for a basket. Persons having questions may call (740) 753-1244.
The Nelsonville Finance Committee will hold a meeting on Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 6:00 pm in council chambers at City Hall. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the 2017 budget. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
The City of Nelsonville Street Department announces that beginning Monday, November 21, 2016 at 7:00 AM the following streets will be closed for a water line repair. East Washington Street from the Public Square to Jefferson Street. Jefferson Street from East Washington Street to East Columbus Street. These streets will remain closed until the water line repair is completed. Please use an alternate route and avoid this area.
The Athens County Engineer’s Office will be closing Athens County Road 73, Wolfe Bennett Road from the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail to 15875 Wolfe Bennett Road in York Township, Friday, November 11th and Monday, November 14th from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM daily. The roadway is being closed for a paving project and will be open to local traffic, but drivers should expect delays. Please avoid this area.
The Nelsonville City Council will hold a regular Council meeting on Monday, November 14, 2016 at 7:00 pm in Council Chambers at City Hall. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
The City of Nelsonville announces that all City offices will be closed on Friday, November 11, 2016 in observance of Veteran’s Day. City offices will re-open for business on Monday, November 14, 2016 for regular business hours.