The Nelsonville City Council will hold a special Council meeting on Monday, March 19, 2018 at 7:00 PM in Council Chambers at City Hall. The meeting is being held to interview candidates for the open Council seat. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
The National Weather service has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for Athens County from 3AM to 1PM, Saturday, 3/17/2018.
- WHAT – Freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations up to one tenth of an inch are expected.
- WHERE – Portions of southeast Ohio and northern West Virginia.
- WHEN – From 3 AM to 1 PM Saturday.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS – The ice will result in difficult travel conditions. Plan for slippery road conditions early Saturday morning.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS; A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads. Slow down and use caution while driving. Additional information can be found at http://www.weather.gov/rlx as well as on our Facebook and Twitter pages.
The City of Nelsonville Water Department has issued a boil order for Saint John Street, Saint John Street Alley until further notice. Residents in the affected area may also experience low or no water pressure due to a water line break. Boil orders are put into place as a result of broken water lines or local flooding. When this happens, the drinking water may have been contaminated which can cause many illnesses.
Here are some tips to keep in mind, should you find yourself in this situation:
• Bring water to a full boil, and boil for three minutes prior to use.
• Use only boiled water for drinking, preparing food or baby formula.
• To improve the flat taste of boiled water, keep cold in refrigerator.
• Put a cup over your faucets as a reminder to not use tap water – not even to brush your teeth!
• Instead of boiling water, you can disinfect water by adding one teaspoon unscented chlorine laundry bleach for every five gallons of water. Let stand 30 minutes before using.
• Be sure to use sanitized food grade containers for storing water.
• To disinfect water storage containers, pour a solution of one tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach to a gallon of water into a container. Let the solution remain in the container for 10 minutes, then pour out the solution. Rinse with purified water.
• Boiled or disinfected water can be stored for six months.
• Dispose of ice cubes.
• When washing dishes, make sure to sterilize dishes with a final dip in water that has one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water. Disposable tableware is an option during a boil order.
• It is also recommended you sanitize hands when washing. Again, use one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water and rinse hand frequently by pouring rinse over the hands. Use paper towels to dry.
• Water for bathing doesn’t need to be boiled. Supervise children to avoid water being ingested.
The Nelsonville Parks and Recreation Committee will hold a meeting on Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 6:00PM at Polley Field Park. The topic of discussion will be improvements at the park. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
The City of Nelsonville Planning and Development Committee will hold a joint meeting with the Nelsonville Planning Commission on Friday, March 16, 2018 at 7:00PM in council chambers at City Hall. The meeting is being held to discuss neighborhood revitalization. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
The City of Nelsonville announces that beginning on Thursday, March 15, 2018, McKee Paving will be repairing potholes on the following streets in Nelsonville;
- Thursday, March 15 & Friday, March 16 – East Canal Street near Burger King.
- Friday, March 16 & Monday, March 19 – Poplar Street, NO PARKING ON THE STREET
- Monday, March 19 & Tuesday, March 20 – Scott Street, NO PARKING ON THE STREET
Please use an alternate route and watch for stopped traffic!
ATHENS COUNTY SNOW EMERGENCY CANCELED
March 8, 2018, 14:30 hours
The snow emergency for Athens County has been canceled. Please drive carefully some hazardous road conditions may still exist in remote areas of the county.
ATHENS COUNTY LEVEL 1 SNOW EMERGENCY
March 8, 2018, 09:30 hours
Athens County is under a LEVEL 1 SNOW EMERGENCY. Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. Motorists are urged to drive very cautiously.
The Nelsonville Finance Committee will hold a meeting on Friday, March 9, 2018 at 1:00PM in council chambers at City Hall. The topic of discussion will be amending appropriations. The public is invited and encouraged to attend.
ATHENS COUNTY LEVEL 2 SNOW EMERGENCY
March 8, 2018, 07:40 hours
Athens County is under a LEVEL 2 SNOW EMERGENCY. Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be very icy. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work. Motorists should use extreme caution.