The National Weather Service has issued a FLOOD WARNING for Athens County in effect until 3:15AM, Friday, February 4, 2022.
- WHAT…Small stream flooding caused by excessive rainfall is occurring.
- WHERE…Portions of southeast Ohio and West Virginia, including Athens County.
- WHEN…Until 3:15AM, Friday, February 4, 2022.
- IMPACTS…Flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying and flood-prone locations is imminent or occurring.
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS… At 324 PM, County officials reported numerous road closures due to flooding throughout the warned area. Radar and gauges indicate that between 1 and 1.5 inches of rain have fallen. Freezing rain will gradually become the dominant precipitation type this afternoon. However, continued runoff will contribute to rising creeks and streams into the evening hours. http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood deaths occur in vehicles.
In hilly terrain there are hundreds of low water crossings which are potentially dangerous in heavy rain. Do not attempt to cross flooded roads. Find an alternate route.
Report Severe Weather to the National Weather Service by calling toll free, 800 401 9535, when you can do so safely.