March 18-24 is Severe Weather Awareness Week in Ohio. Athens County Emergency Management Agency urges you to exercise your tornado safety plan during the Statewide Tornado Drill at 9:50 a.m., Wednesday, March 21st. Designing and exercising a tornado safety plan for your establishment and home will help you respond appropriately in a real event.
Here’s how to participate in the 2018 Tornado Drill:
- Listen for the outdoor sirens or other warning system at 9:50 a.m. on Wednesday, March 21st.
- Practice your safety plan — go to your designated tornado shelter.
- Get a weather alert radio. They’re available from most electronics retailers. To learn more, go to http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/.
- Learn about the hazards we face in Athens County at our Web site: http://www.athensema.org
Make a Plan
- Know a safe place to shelter during tornadoes at work, home and school.
- Keep extra emergency supplies on hand (battery-operated radio, food, water, medication).
- Go online to Ready.Gov to learn how to make an emergency plan.
- Exercise your tornado plan on Wednesday, March 21st at 9:50 a.m. during the statewide drill.
- If you can’t drill on March 21st, choose another date in March or April.