The City of Nelsonville would like to remind everyone to remember basic safety tips to ensure everyone enjoys their time at the annual Parade of The Hills Festival.
General Safety Tips
- Pay attention to weather forecasts and prepare appropriately.
- Be sure to use sunscreen and sunglasses to protect you from harmful UV rays.
- Remember, even on overcast days UV rays are still powerful enough to burn skin so remember to use sunscreen.
- On hot days make sure you drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Wear closed toe shoes like tennis shoes, not flip-flops or sandals, to protect your feet.
- Be aware of your surroundings and know where you will go if you need to seek shelter from an unexpected thunderstorm.
- Remember “If you see something, say something.” If you see people or activities that seem suspicious, report your observations to the Police Department by calling 9-1-1.
- Teach kids to stay calm and stay put if they are separated from parents or other caregivers. Knowing what to do in this scary situation will help prevent a lost child from panicking and help safety officials locate them faster.
Safety tips for kids and caregivers
- Keep a watchful eye on children. It’s easy for children and caregivers to become separated in large crowds.
- Have an established family plan of a location where you will meet if separated.
- Make a “missing parent’ contact tag your children can wear with your name and cell phone number in case your child becomes separated.
- If you do become separated from your child, notify the Police Department.
Amusement Ride Safety Tips
- Don’t board a ride if you see broken parts, signs of improper maintenance, or an inattentive operator.
- Read all posted rules and listen to instructions given by ride operators.
- Watch the ride with your child before boarding. Point out the operator and the entrance and exit locations prior to riding. Make sure they understand the instructions and warnings fully.
- Keep all body parts (hands, arms, legs, long hair, etc.) inside the ride at all times. If you have long hair, keep it pulled up with a hat or hair tie.
- If you can’t count on your child to stay seated with hands and feet inside, don’t let them ride.
- Always use the safety equipment provided (seat belt, shoulder harness, lap bar, etc.).
- Obey minimum height, age, and weight restrictions. Never sneak children onto rides if they are too small or too young. A smaller/younger child may not be physically or developmentally able to stay safely seated.
- Remain in the ride until it comes to a complete stop at the unloading point. If a ride stops temporarily due to mechanical failure or other reasons. Stay seated and wait for an operator to give you further instructions.
- Know your physical conditions and limitations. If you suspect that your health could be at risk for any reason, or you could aggravate a pre-existing condition of any kind, do not ride.
Have a safe and memorable time at The Parade of The Hills and always keep safety your #1 priority!