Census results can affect funding for many programs aimed at school-age children, among them:
- The National School Lunch Program, a U.S. Department of Agriculture program that funds free or reduced-price lunches for low-income students.
- Title 1 grants for local schools, a U.S. Department of Education program that helps schools with a high percentage of students from low-income households.
- Grants for state special education programs.
- The Head Start Program for low-income preschool children.
- Teacher training, such as the Department of Education’s Improving Teacher Quality State Grant available to schools across the country.