The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning for gusty winds and low relative humidity for Athens County, which is in effect from 12 noon until 8 PM, Tuesday, 5/1/18. The Fire Weather Watch is no longer in effect.
- Winds…Southwest 8 to 12 mph with gusts up to 20 mph.
- Timing…This afternoon and early evening.
- Relative Humidity…As low as 20 percent.
- Temperatures…In the upper 70s to around 80 degrees.
- Impacts…Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
- Outdoor burning is not permitted.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS; A Red Flag Warning means that critical fire weather conditions are either occurring now or will shortly. A combination of strong winds, low relative humidity and warm temperatures can contribute to extreme fire behavior.